Saturday 3 September 2011

Butterfly Project

Today at Vickie Stampers Stamp Club we made butterflies for the exhibition planned for 2012 at The Holocaust Museum, Houston, Texas. They are collecting 1.5 million hand made butterflies to memorialise the 1.5 children that perished in The Holocaust. 
More information  can be found here 
The Butterfly project
I will be making more over the coming weeks as I want to try out different stamps, Die Cuts and styles. Most of the ones I made today were stamped and embossed on backgrounds I had made previously and all have beaded bodies.
If you want to see more butterflies made for the project visit Neet's Blog.


The Butterfly


The last, the very last,
so richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow.
Perhaps if the suns tears would sing
against a white stone...
Such a yellow
Is carried lightly way up high
It went away I'm sure because it wished
to kiss the world goodbye.
For seven weeks I've lived in here,
Penned up inside this ghetto.
But I have found what I love here.
The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut branches in the court.
Only I never saw another butterfly.
That butterfly was the last one.
Butterflies don't live in here,
In the ghetto.


Pavel (Paul) Friedmann 
6th April 1942
Pavel died in Oswiecim (Polish) or Auschwitz (German) in Southern Poland.


I went to Auschwitz in the 1990's and not even a bird flies over there. It is deathly quiet 
with a sense of eariness.


Never forget

1 comment:

cockney blonde said...

Hi there. Found your blog through JoZart and wanted to let you know I am now following you, lol. Love the butterflies, x